Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Paseo and Ecua Points

Friday we got to take the Manos kids on a paseo (field trip)। It was by far one of the best experiences I have had with them so far. There is no way I can describe how it felt to see 22 kids waiting for us as we got off the bus in 28. All of them were dressed in their nice clothes and most had been recently bathed. All we were doing was taking the kids to a park in Durán and then buying them Popsicles, but for some of these kids that is huge outing. We had one father tell us that his boys had rarely left the 28 area because he is mostly blind and their mom isn't in the picture. It's moments like this when I realize that maybe it doesn't matter that I'm not really "using" all those skills I learned in college, but I am having the opportunity to add a little joy to some Ecuadorian kids' lives and for now that's enough.

Also, here's a link to an arial view of 28 de Agosto, it's a few years old so there has definitely been quite a bit of growth, but it gives a small glimpse into what we are seeing everyday।

Now on to Ecua points...This past week I had to pick up some groceries at our local tienda Multi Ahorro (an actual walk in store)। To do this I had to get off the bus early coming home from work, and because we have a limited stipend and busfare (even if it's only .18 cents-red buses, or in the case of the yellow buses .30 cents) can add up I thought it would be best to walk the 8ish blocks home. As I was about a half a block away from the store with all my bags ( there was actually only two...but they were kinda heavy) I saw a red bus coming up behind me and I was like man it would be so nice if I could just hop on that. The bus had stopped a few feet behind me to let off some people and as it pulled up beside me it slowed down to see if I wanted on. The man standing in the door way...one of the free riders...asked me if I wanted on and I told him I didn't have enough money. Then the driver, who I recognized from previous bus ridings told me just to get on ( I think since he knew I wasn't going that far). So I got on and just stood on the bottom step next the the other free loader and got a ride all the way home. Which definitely earned me a few a Ecua points and a "muy chevere" (very cool) from our guard Wellington.

Oh, one more thing... the American Consulate has invited us to the Hilton in Guayaquil on November 4th to watch the election results!!! Now esto es muy, muy, chevere :) I hope you'll all vote...I know I already have.

No comments: