Friday, December 09, 2005

From Arbolito

Things continue down here at two degrees latitude. Some of the biggest news as of late in my community might be the fact that I will have actually gotten this blog up on time... however, there have been other events taking place these past few weeks.
Last weekend the Arbolito church band (Nueva Generacion) put on a concert, which also included a couple of other groups from the community. I think about 100 people showed up, and they raised a bunch of money for the church and for the group. I think it was one of the most successful events that I have seen put on by ecuadorians thus far. I was, as well the rest of us gringos and our community friends, very impressed.
As well as the concert, there was a play put on by the ARbolito church youth group on Sunday. The play was a reenactement of Scrooge, but definitely ecua-style. It was done at the Hansen´s hospital, and also went very well. Gifts were given to the hansen´s patients, and smiles and tears were seen all around.
Besides these events, and my miraculous blogging capabilities, things continue as normal here. WE are all busy each day, keeping our sites up and running, as well as trying to improve them. Things at Semillas de Mostaza, an after school program which I attend everyday, has recently been filled to capacity with about 110-130 kids for the past two weeks. It was been awesome, but tiring. CHristmas is right around the corner, and event planning is now in full swing. I am excited to see how it all goes, and do be a part of what comes.
be well all of you who read...
conor

No comments: